Locality Maierus, county of Brasov, has been known in time under the following names: Magherus, Maghierus, Alun (Nâer?t in Saxon dialect, Nassbich, Nassbiχ, Nu?bach in German, Nussbach, Szászmagyarós, Magyarós in Hungarian).
Due to its strategic position, it is being assumed that the locality represented an attraction for the Teutonic Knights, when they were brought here by the Hungarian emperor Andrei the 2nd, in 1211. The first documents relating to this settlement date back to 1377.
The fortified church
Among the attraction points of village Maierus we mention the fortified Church, built in the 14th century, connecting the cultural road Brasov-Sighisoara. It used to be surrounded by fortifications with 6 to 8 meters high thick walls. Following a devastating fire, the Church was damaged, but it was then rebuilt, together with the steeple in 1573. There are some more old buildings in the locality, among which the old school built in 1883, which was replaced in 1911-1912 with the one functioning now, according to the plans of the engineers from Brasov Bruss and Wagner.
Folklore and history
“Today the village Maierus is a cultural and historic attraction, but also one for recreation. The natural potential of the village raises the interest of tourists in visiting this area. Fishing can be practiced here, because of the lakes in the close neighbourhood of the locality, tourists may take long walks in the open-air and multiple recreation activities. The days of village Maierus combine two opportunities: turning into account the cultural patrimony and attracting tourists. At the second edition of the days of the village, celebrated on the occasion of the Dormition of the Mother of God feast, the Romanian and German folklore was promoted, and also the folk costume belonging to them.” declared Nistor Boriceanu, the Mayor of village Maierus.
The days of village Maierus started, like they used to back in the old days, with lads wearing national costumes on horses. The suite started in front of the church, with the brass band ahead, followed by the horsemen from Maierus and folk group “Alunisul Maierus”, folk dance groups from Sita Buzaului, the pupils of the elementary school in the town and the German dances band conducted by teacher Ute Iobi. The event continued on a stage outside where famous vocalists such as Elena Padure, Liviu Guta, Tara Barsei fiddlers' band and vocalists from that area were invited.