Village Feldioara, county of Braşov, is located on the cultural road from Brasov to Sighisoara (DN 13 and E 60), 20 km north from Brasov and 100 km from Sighisoara. The village overlooks Tara Barsei de Jos from the hill detaching from Persani Mountains and stops on the margin of river Olt. Feldioara is right next to some spectacular mountainous massifs: 40 km from Bucegi Mountains, 30 km from Postavaru massif, 45 km from Piatra Craiului massif and 10 km from the forests of Persani Mountains.
The Earth Citadel
Feldioara was also formerly known as the Earth Citadel, (Marienbrichm, Marembrix, Merembrix in the Saxon dialect, Marenburch, Marienburg in German, which basically means "Mary's Citadel". It used to be also called: Földvár in Hungarian, Castrum Sancte Maria in Latin). Village Rotbav is connected to Feldioara. It belongs from the administrative and territorial points of view to the Town Hall of village Feldioara, known as: Rosie, Rotbac (Roiderbrich, Rudjebich, Rûdebix in the Saxon dialect, Rothpach, Rothbach in German, Szászveresmart, Vörösmárt/Veresmart in Hungarian, and this could be translated as the „Red Brook”).
On the territory of the village, the archaeologists brought fragments from clay jugs to light dating back to the Bronze Age.
The Teutons and the Citadel
„This year we celebrate 800 years from the moment when the Teutonic knights arrived in this area. They say that this is where their General Headquarters was located. We mark this jubilee with an event entirely dedicated to them and through a project from European funds, through the Ministry of Regional Development and Tourism, for promotion of the touristic potential of village Feldioara. The feast days of the village are celebrated during September 3th and 4th. This is considered to be a reason to emphasize the existence of the Teutonic knights. The Citadel from Feldioara is the most important fortification erected by the Teutonic knights in Transylvania.” declared Sorin Taus, the Mayor of village Feldioara.
The Headquarters of the Knights
The Evangelist Church is in village Feldioara, in the Eastern part of the locality. According to the documents, the General Headquarters of the Teutonic Order from Tara Barsei was right here (1211-1225). The church is built in Gothic style, on the ground of the basilica at the end of 13th century.
The Evangelist Church was erected in 1300 in village Rotbav in the Romanic style. It was fortified in the 15th century, with thick walls. The churches may be visited by tourists.