Mid-way between the Citadels|
Ticusul Vechi commune is located at the right bank of river Olt, mid-way between the Citadels Fagaras and Rupea. A medieval road crosses the commune, which origins seem to go back to the Romans times. There is a multiethnic community, where Romanians, Magyars and the few German families harmoniously live together.
Saxons and Romanian Settlers
The first mention of Ticusul Vechi goes back to 1373, but there are reasons to think that the commune is even more ancient. In 1520, the pay office of Sibiu paid an amount for some defence works in the commune; there is room to believe that the northern wall of the evangelic church and its two towers were built then. In 1532, the Romanians immigrated in Ticus were settled by the Saxons on the right bank of river Olt, to defend the boundaries. This is how Ticusul Nou came to life.
The evangelic church of Ticusul Vechi is among the historical monuments of the county. Its tower was built between 1804 and1806, after the earthquake of 1802.
The commune still conserves today a reach cultural inheritance, very accurately kept, including the surprisingly varied local specificity.
The mayor Emil Mircea Schiopea has strong arguments for those eager to know this unpolluted and splendid area: ?There are huge possibilities of investments in various fields; the commune has a reach natural potential, hospitable inhabitants and an impressive cultural and historical patrimony?.
198, Ticusul Vechi, Brasov county
Phone/fax: +40 268 285 828.