Maierus commune is located at the foot of Persani Mountains, on E60 connecting Brasov with the medieval Sighisoara. The forestry and hunting areas make of this locality with interesting history a very attractive location.
According to the archaeologist Costea Florea, the settlement dates back from the Dacian, Roman and post-Roman period. Nicholaus de Villa Nucum was the first one to mention the name Maierus in 1385. In 1454, a boundary litigation with Belin village mentions the name Mayaros. The inhabitants suspect an orthographic error; the right spelling would have been Mogyoros, witch means nut grove, from the huge area covered with walnuts in the surroundings.
Churches and Brass Band
The orthodox church ?The Assumption? (1783-1787) and the evangelic Lutheran one, built between 1791-1792, are historical monuments, with patrimonial value. The local brass band continues the German tradition, as it used to be long ago.
Opportunities and Investments
According to the mayor Dorel Toderas, the main activities in the area are the agriculture and the breeding on the 700 ha pasturage area. The inhabitants are also involved in the wood processing activity on the 300 ha forestry area. The investors can exploit the water supply system, the power network and the railway with a merchandise railroad station 7 km distant.
Some Chinese investors want to continue the massive clay exploitation in the area. They want to build a bricks factory near the natural lake formed by the storm water The lake has a bowl form; it is coated with argil and it is 12 meters deep. Another local investor built a furniture factory.
Hunt, work or visit
The mayor Toderas believes that the forestry and hunting areas raise the biggest interest. ?The hunting area attracts a lot of people eager to hunt bears, boars, deers, rabbits and foxes. We also have 25 ha of lakes reach in fish. At present the hunt is more profitable than the wood processing activity. We are waiting for all those who want to hunt, work or just visit our commune?
Maierus town hall
2, Nicolae Bălcescu Steet, Brasov county
Phone: +40 268/284771, fax: +40 268/284757