The Project "Rehabilitation of the historical centre of Codlea Town", with a total value of 13064.21 thousand Lei, has been resubmitted by Town Codlea, Brasov County to the Regional Development Agency-Centre Alba Iulia, Regional Operational Program 2007-2013. The Town Hall of Codlea issued the building permit for several old buildings that still preserve the history of this town, at the beginning of this year.
Old buildings included in the tourist circuit
"The project refers to the rehabilitation of the old City Hall that will be transformed into the Museum of Codlea Traditions, the rehabilitation of the Culture House to become the Cultural Centre that will house a ceramics craft school and other crafts classes, rehabilitation of the municipal library to become the Information and Documentation Centre, including audio books, book reviews, and finish works of the building facade facing Magura Street. These finish works consist of rehabilitation of the pedestrian spaces, roadways, urban green spaces, urban furniture, public and architectural lightning. The buildings shall be included in the tourist circuit," said Mr. Catalin Munteanu, Mayor of Codlea.
,,The Play House"
The historical buildings of the old borough of Codlea (Zeiden) includes the Play House, a huge building where comedians used to perform, which later on became the Town Hall building (1724-1726), and two pieces of work above the gate of the church`s castle (the fortified Evangelic Church). A strong wind destroyed the Play House and restoration works began in 1780. It has been located towards the end of the fair market, in the direction of the inn, in order to gain more free space and clear the road for carts and mail coaches. A big store and a bazaar have been built mainly for the fair days. The Town Hall building was built in 1824, above the gate of the castle. The front door bears the inscription "Suum cuique" on a commemorative stone.
The ,,Black Fortreess" Inn
The Black Fortress Inn was rebuilt (1910-1911) by Wagner and Bruss, with 10 guest rooms and a dining hall. The new building, including the big hall of the Culture House, were made thanks to the contribution of the people in the borough.
According to www.codlea-info.ro, the Black Fortress Inn bears the name after the fortress from the north-western corner of Magura Codlei, and not after the Evangelic Church.