In the old quarter of Brasov, ‘Șcheiul’, where orthodox Romanian people have been living ever since dateless ages, there is ‘Sf. Nicolae’ Church, built in 1495. For 522 years, this parochial church was available for the soul of the Romanian people living in the Șchei quarter. Before this Church, there was a wooden cross built in 1292 and, after several years, in the place where the cross used to be, a wooden church was built, celebrating Sf. Nicolae (Saint Nicholas). The remaining of a foundation belonging to three cult buildings was revealed when performing archaeological digs (1969 – 1975).
One of the discoveries is the wooden church, from which the altar apse and the polygonal plan where kept. In the 18th century, a Holy Water recipient was built, where the Twelfth Day Holy Water is celebrated. Another discovery reveals the wall church (15th century), which looks like a rectangular ship, also encountered in the chronicles. Research showed that there was a third church too, with a polygonal apse that functioned until the 18th century. The stone Church built by Romanian orthodox people in Schei quarter was supported by several voivodes of Wallachia and Moldavia, being considered a voivode foundation.
The first Romanian books
This church gathered around all the Romanian people of the time, and also the priests and scholars of the period, who significantly contributed to the cultural and Romanian literary language heritage, materialized by editing the first Romanian books, which were translations of the most valuable culture books in the popular literature. The first calendar – almanac in our literature appeared thanks to the teacher Petcu Soanu (1731), from ‘Sf. Nicolae’ Church from Șcheii Brasovului quarter. Thanks to the church servants, here it was established The First Romanian School, that functioned from the 14th century. The new stone school, with instruction in Romanian language, was built in 1597.
Romanian people living in these areas kept a rich tradition until nowadays. A custom unknown in other areas is practiced here: the Juni tradition, related to the Easter Holiday. This custom takes place from the Feast of Annunciation, Palm Sunday, until the Easter. Their special costumes attract tourists from the country and abroad. In the church museum, besides heritage objects, there are the beautiful Juni costumes. Precious printings and the special iconographic program are also tourists’ attractions.