Ever since the Middle Ages, the County of Brasov has been crossed by a wide network of roads built after an old world map dating back to the 4th century AD.
People used to say in the 13th century that "all roads lead to Feldioara", until Brasov became the biggest trading centre of those times.
These medieval routes are making nowadays the object of many cultural projects intended to enhance the value of the medieval roads and the sites of cultural and historical significance which existed in Tara Barsei.
The King`s Road
An important route of those times was Bran Route, also known as the King`s Road or the Customs` Path. This road linked Transylvania to the medieval capitals of the former historical Romanian region Tara Romaneasca. It is also considered to be the most important connection point between Transylvania and the territories in the south of the Danube and the Black Sea. The Road of Prahova emerged in the 18th century, which connects Bran to Predeal resort leading to Bucharest, now capital of Romania.
Medieval Road Made of Beams
Medieval road made of beams
The road to the west used to start from Tara Barsei historical region and passed through Ghimbav, Codlea, Dumbravita, Tara Fagarasului region and Sibiu. The road connection to Feldioara developed in the 14th ? 15th centuries and the Fortress of Crisbav was built to enhance traffic safety on those roads.
Near Ghimbav locality, the road passed over the river Ghimbasel onto a bridge made up of stone. The road bordering Codlea on the side of Persani Mountains was covered with beams. To the northern side, via Sighisoara, there was another road going through Feldioara and Maierus. The historical regions of Tara Barsei and Moldova were connected by Prejmer Route, Harman Route or the Lower Route. A commercial road was built in the 19th century passing by Harman and Prejmer localities, in the direction of the Szekelys` territory.
In 1827 a new and wide route was built in the direction of Sanpetru, other leading to Cristian and another one through the forest of Codlea. Each inhabitant has made an annual contribution in the form of 12 unpaid days of work, for five years (1833-1837). Crushed stone was carried in Tara Barsei to be used for the construction of the commercial road starting in Vladeni, each pulling cattle being required to carry half a fathom.
The road to Teliu was built in 1838 when people were forced to work "many days, using their carriages or bare handed."